The seasons are changing. The last of the winter decorations in my home have been put away. I am ready to dive into spring! I am anxious for the landscape in Iowa to transform before my eyes. Watching the trees bud, plants sprout and grass turn green are a few of my favorite things. We’ve set our clocks ahead. Checked our smoke detector batteries. And now it’s time for some reflection so we can continue to LEARN and GROW.
Last night I attended the #iaedchat on Twitter. The topic was “Inside the Mind of Successful Leaders.” I enjoy connecting with fellow educators in Iowa and around the globe each Sunday evening. Today I wanted to share one question in particular posed by #iaedchat moderators @casas_jimmy, @Aaron_Becker32, and @mwdegner.
A simple fill-in-the-blank question caused a lot of reflection among chat participants. I have been reflecting on more today.
The question was ….
I use to think ___, now I think___.
It has caused me to reflect on how I have adjusted my sails! Here are just a few. I know I will continue to have other!
- I use to think I needed to have all the answers, now I think we can find the answers together.
- I use to think leadership was a title, now I think it is a frame of mind. We are all leaders. We can all empower and inspire others.
- I use to think I was not a very good writer, now I know I have a voice and the world is waiting for my contribution.
- I use to think failure or rejection meant there was something wrong with me, now I embrace it, stay determined and grow from the experience and try again.
- I use to think I didn’t have time for things like Twitter and blogging, now I need them to push my thinking, connect with the world and learn in the 21st century.