In a week the 70th Annual ASCD Conference will be kicking off in Houston, Texas. I am honored to be able to attend this event for a second year in a row as a member of the press. The conference falls at a great time during the Slice of Life Challenge – as I know I won’t be at a loss for topic ideas from March 21 – 23 and beyond.
This year’s ASCD Conference Theme is Challenging Convention: Leading Disruptive Innovation. I am really looking forward to the theme and have high hopes that the conference will look and feel different than the traditional conference scene. Or, at least the sessions will push participants thinking for continued educational transformations. The ASCD theme page has a great set of questions for educator reflection. Check them out here. Topics include innovation, teaching & learning, achievement gaps, leadership, professional development, global connections and diversity and social justice.
I am looking forward to the learning and growing throughout the conference. A highlight will be meeting the following. (If the author is on Twitter their names have been hyperlinked.)
- Todd Whitaker author of School Culture Rewired: How to Define, Assess, and Transform It
- Carol Ann Tomlinson author of The Differentiated Classroom: Responding to the Needs of All Learners, 2nd Edition
- Regie Routman author of Read, Write, Lead: Breakthrough Strategies for Schoolwide Literacy Success
- Myron Dueck author of Grading Smarter, Not Harder: Assessment Strategies That Motivate Kids and Help Them Learn
- Steven Anderson author of The Tech-Savvy Administrator: How do I use technology to be a better school leader? (ASCD Arias)
- Robyn Jackson author of Never Underestimate Your Teachers: Instructional Leadership for Excellence in Every Classroom
- Peter DeWitt author of School Climate Change (ASCD Arias)
- Jeffrey Benson author of Hanging In: Strategies for Teaching the Students Who Challenge Us Most
- Harvey Silver, R. Thomas Dewing and Mathew Perini authors of The Core Six: Essential Strategies for Achieving Excellence with the Common Core
Look for posts from the conference as well as after as I pull my learning together.
March 2015, I am blogging daily as a part of the Slice of Life Story Challenge! This is post #13. More Slice of Life posts from other bloggers can be found on Two Writing Teachers.